Saturday, April 30, 2011

Bath (No Rubber Ducks Involved)

As a group we went to Bath. Back in March. The middle of March. Right... Moving on.

Bath is a city in England which, I admit, the majority of my knowledge about came from Jane Austen novels where people often go to Bath as a cure for minor diseases (which means of course I went to the Jane Austen museum but more on that later). Although, having not even a cold at the time I went, I can't speak for the miracles of Bath.

Before we got to Bath, however, we stopped at Dyrham Park, which is actually an old mansion that the family gave up to be a museum of sorts. So we went through and heard about life back when they had a ton of servents, etc. Pretty interesting overall but more fun to walk around and try and imagine people actually living there. But the best part was that we got to walk around the park afterwards. The back was all gardened and pretty. There was also a church (because there are old churches everywhere) and an old graveyard in the back (with a Great War memorial because there's a Great War memorial everywhere around here). The front was big enough to just walk around a "get lost" for a while. And I got to see deer up close (the deer the park was named for).

We were in Bath that evening, all the next day, and the next morning. The first thing we did was get a tour of the Roman Baths, which are still there and had a pretty good audio tour. It was really interesting but I won't bore you with a ton of facts and things. The first night, we ate at a pub where there was a group from a stag (bachelour) party there too.

Next day, we went on a bus tour to see around Bath and then went wandering about in the town. I went with another girl and saw the Jane Austen museum which was brilliant. I got to learn about her family and see actual letters she wrote to her sister and dresses and hear about her life in Bath (which wasn't entirely pleasant). Later that night I went to my first and only movie in the UK. Cinemas are pretty much the same here, not going to lie. Although they did have a section selling ice cream and milkshakes along with popcorn.

We left in the morning and made a stop in Lacock which is this town where they've tried to preserve the historial look of an English village and they have Lacock Abbey. What's so special about Lacock Abbey you may ask? Well part of Harry Potter filming took place there! We went through rooms guessing which classroom it had been for filming and took pictures of part of the halls. I felt like a nerd (which I always am) but this time I had loads of company. Yay!

1 comment:

  1. You got to see where some of Harry Potter was filmed? That's so cool!! I wish we could order ice cream and milkshakes when we go to movies, which we can do again in like 15/16 days!

    ReplyDelete