Saturday, April 30, 2011

Museums

So, just as an FYI I have discovered that museums are a thing it's pro baby best if I go to alone. See, I like to stop and read things and go slowly which could be entirely annoying. Which is why I went to the Imperial War Museum a second time, the second time on my own, and was pretty glad I went to Tower of London on my own.

The Imperial War Museum is a really big museum mostly over World Wars I and II in Britain but there's also exhibits on the time in between the wars and the cold war, etc. One of the most interesting things for me was the Children's War exhibit which was about the children in Britain during WWII. It talked about how a lot of them had been sent to the countryside (and some to other countries) during the bombings. They also talked about rationing and had a replica of a house from that time period. There was also a Trench Warfare exhibit which was dark and smelled badly where they made it like you were in a trench. There was also the Holocaust exhibit on the top floor which was- well it was about the Holocaust. Enough said. It wasn't cheery.

On a lighter note, I lately went to the Tower of London. I've had to go there since I decided to come to London because my mom and I have a bit of an obsession with Anne and Mary Boleyn. I even went and got the audio guide which was actually really well done. Obviously, the whole thing wasn't about Henry VIII. I mean, the Tower of London has in parts been around a LOT longer than that. And there actually wasn't too much torture that went on in the Tower but that's the main thing remembered about it. But they had displays of armour and the royal jewels (which was actually the most boring part if you ask me) which I went and saw and there was the fact about the ravens (there always has to be ravens at Tower of London or supposedly the Tower and monarchy will fall). All in all, I spent the better part of a day wandering around like a dork with headphones and an audio guide and camera.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, but no one who goes to Tower of London doesn't look like a tourist. It's not really something you go see if you live in London permenantly; one of those things you think "oh I can go there anytime". So I only looked like a tourist among other tourists. And I walked along the Thames to get there. So points to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, fine. You can have points for that. :)

    ReplyDelete